Top causes of residential fires in Ventura and how to avoid them
When you own a home, there are numerous threats to consider. Fire is foremost among them, as it can occur in any place and anytime. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States due to residential fires in 2021. That same year, there were over 350,000 noted incidents. Thankfully, there are steps you can take to avoid them. Investigate the causes and how to prevent house fires in Ventura.
What causes residential fires in Ventura?
Fires can begin in any location and without notice, whether caused by a discarded cigarette in a garbage can or a neglected stovetop. Here are the top causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Flare-ups in the kitchen are the most widespread types of residential fires in Ventura and elsewhere. Unattended stovetops are the main cause, so always watch that hot skillet when making a meal. It’s also important to note that throwing water on a grease fire will only make matters worse.
- Heating: Area heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Operating them for lengthy periods can result in inner elements breaking down and sparking. Damaged cords and placing heaters next to flammable items like bedding or drapes can also lead to devastating results. Other heating elements, such as furnaces and fireplaces, could cause fires and should be examined periodically.
- Electrical: Worn out wiring, faulty outlets, and overwhelmed extension cords are a few of the ways electrical issues result in fires. Don’t ever operate an appliance with a tattered cord, and make certain ignitable materials like paper aren’t put on top of a lampshade, get it investigated promptly.
- Candles: Whenever there's a flame, there's the potential for fire. Residential fires due to candles are still all too common and often result from careless behavior. Putting them within an area reachable by pets or near combustible items will lead to disaster.
- Smoking: In spite of the overall decline in smoking across the country, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were caused by smoking in 2021. Falling asleep while holding a cigarette or discarding smoldering ashes too soon can bring about destructive results.
The best way to prevent house fires in Ventura is to be careful at all times. Always watch closely when cooking, don’t leave a candle unattended, and properly get rid of cigarettes. If you need to use a space heater, do so infrequently and use one that has an automatic shut-off feature in the event it tips over.
Protect your family with a monitored fire alarm in Ventura
You need to have smoke detectors on every floor and consider using more next to bedrooms. But you can take your safety to another level with a monitored fire alarm. These modern safety devices will not only recognize smoke but can also be tripped due to elevated heat levels. In addition, because they integrate into your modern smart home, they’ll notify you and your monitoring specialists whenever an emergency takes place. This is a nice perk, particularly when you’re not there to hear the alarm and call the fire department.
Defend against known threats with a Vivint smart home in Ventura
Elevate the safety of your residence today with a Vivint smart home. You may personalize our systems with monitored fire alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and water sensors. You’ll appreciate the instant notifications to your mobile device and the peace of mind that you get with professional monitoring. Place a call to (805) 590-5999 to get started.